FACULTYTALK Archives

May 2010

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sally Gunz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2010 15:45:24 -0400
This is a very interesting discussion and I thank you all for your comments.

In terms of context,this was a meeting of our faculty Council. I am
finding out the language of the majority requirement now in order to
ascertain whether abstentions might be required to be recorded. It is an
interesting context because actually there were several people present
are nonvoting attendees; certain staff members for example. I doubt any
chair would have an idea how many there are although there is a paper
record kept of attendees so that would assist. In this case the vote was
over the approval of a rather vaguely described Masters program. I
suspect a number of people abstained as they genuinely didn't understand
enough about the program to say yes or no -- this was in fact the
fundamental problem; the description of the program was, in my opinion,
inadequate. The relevance of knowing the number of abstentions is
because the program has to go before two more committees at the
University and it would be helpful to indicate the weakness of the
support at the faculty level. In fact it is somewhat surprising that the
program was not withdrawal until the issues of concern were addressed --
issues such as there being no head of the program or departmental
connection!

I think we can get a rough idea of abstentions from the record of
attendees. Re the point Michael made at the end --  point three -- I
don't understand why the chair would not have immediately allowed these
to be counted when the request was made which was immediately after the
vote and before anyone had left. His response was simply that Robert's
rules of order do not allow this which got me wondering.

Thanks to you all.

Sally