FACULTYTALK Archives

April 2011

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Henry Lowenstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 2011 14:08:48 -0400
In taking over a big portion of our Legal Environment of Business core course this year, I added a chapter from our Jentz & Miller text  at the end on Corporate Governance and Securities/Finance Law.  As fate would have it, tomorrow we are consolidating all our b-law classes into one auditorium session as my guest lecturer on that topic is the Chief Counsel for the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission coming in from Washington, DC.  Its a rare opportunity for our students I was able to arrange through a business contact.

Our Finance (and Accounting) faculty, too, are very interested in our developing a course on securities/finance law.  As they say, they can teach financial management, but not the new rules that have changed so much the past few years.  I have held off on this for awhile because of the new laws, rules (and court rulings) still in flux and the absence of good textbooks that are up to date on the subject.  I am hopeful some things will be coming out in the next year or two.   As a corporate board member of a public corporation, I deal with SEC counsel and these issues seemingly every month.  Its quite a complex process.

As for topics in either a couple of course sessions or a more extended course, at the undergraduate level just giving them the basics of the key acts and areas below are a start.  You'll need to decide based on your curriculum how deep you want to go in each.  I hope this is helpful.

KEY U.S. SECURITIES LAWS AND REFERENCES

U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission www.sec.gov
Securities Act of 1933    15 U.S.C. §77a et. seq.
Securities Act of 1934    15 U.S.C. §78a et. seq.
Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995    Pub. L. 104-67, 109 Stat. 737
Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002   Pub.L. 107-204, 116 Stat. 745,
Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act of 2010
       Pub.L. 111-203, H.R. 4173

Best wishes,

Henry

Henry Lowenstein, PhD
Professor of Management and Law
E. Craig Wall Sr. College of Business Administration
Coastal Carolina University
P.O. Box 261954
Conway, SC  29528-6054  USA
(843) 349-2827   Office