FACULTYTALK Archives

March 2001

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Bruce D. Fisher" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 10:54:01 -0500
Don:
    We do have a statistical package available for faculty to appraise the
validity of their tests, which is A measure of teaching effectiveness (If a
prof can construct questions which separate the high, medium, and low
mastery students from one another and this is statistically verifiable, this
surely is an important measure of one's ability to evaluate students and
also reflects on the prof's mastery of his/her field to be able to do this.)
    I encourage all faculty to use three OBJECTIVE measures to evaluate both
their tests and themselves:  the Spearman-Brown index, the exam's difficulty
index (mean over the max), and N (the number of students s/he teaches; the
AACSB has or used to have definitions of how many students are considered at
both undergrad and grad levels to constitute a full teaching load; I suspect
that ALSB members would show up very well when using this yardstick to
measure their teaching on a quantitative level.
    I suggest these three measures be ADDED or supplemental to the student
evaluations may bring some objectivity to student "evaluations" which some
consider popularity/student friendly measures of teaching prowess.
                     Bruce Fisher