FACULTYTALK Archives

March 2001

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Les Crall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 16:03:02 -0600
At 03:50 PM 3/1/01 -0800, you wrote:
>ALSBers:
>
>In the "Information to Contributors" section in the JLSE it states that
>"the Journal dies not accept previously published manuscripts...." Similar
>language appeears in the ABLJ. Can anyone tell if this applies to papers
>appearing in regional or national proceedings?
>
>Thanks for your help.
>
>Keith
The Southern Academy of Legal Studies just concluded an outstanding meeting
in New Orleans. Thanks to all who participated.  It truly was an
outstanding meeting, but as recently retired program chair we did have a
few problems and the question you articulated is one of them.

1.  Only papers presented at the meeting are eligible for publication in
the Southern Law Journal. We will not accept papers that have been
published in other journals. I don't think that this ban applies to prior
conference proceedings. The intent is to get original research.  I seem to
recall a discussion that at the national meeting some papers were presented
that had been previously presented at our regional.  Maybe that is Kosher,
but it subjects conference attendees to hearing the same papers twice,
often with very little changes.  The program chairs need to encourage
papers that are original, and that have not been previously presented.

2.  Another complaint I had, dealt with the varying degrees of completion
of some of the working papers.  Maybe approximately 5 papers showed up in
only an outline form.  The argument goes that these authors get the same
credit for writing and presenting a paper when they have yet to write much
of anything.

3.  Some of the Accounting / Tax papers were beyond the scope of interest
of most Attorneys and should have been presented in the AAA, Southwest
Region which is held in conjunction with our meeting.

4.  Next years meeting (2002) of the Southern Academy of Legal Studies
which is held in conjunction with the Federation of Business Disciplines
(formerly Southwest Federation of Administrative Disciplines) will be held
in St. Louis, March 6-9 at the Adam's Mark Hotel. In 2003 it will be March
5-8 in Houston. In 2004 they are looking at either Orlando or San
Diego.  The problem is that as our affiliated association moves around the
country and no longer stays in the "Southern" region, we will be infringing
upon the other regionals. What do we do?

Les Crall, President Southern Academy of Legal Studies in Business