FACULTYTALK Archives

November 1995

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Dennis M. Garvis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 1995 11:04:50 -0500
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 15:28:03 -0600
From: AMARCUS <[log in to unmask]>
To: Multiple recipients of list IABS-L <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re[4]: affirmative action and hate speech

A big concern of mine has been the increase in hate speech throughout the
world. I have always believed that thought leads to action, before the
deed there comes the rationalization, and that "intellectuals" and other
so-called "thinkers" are as responsible for murder, exploitation, and
brutality as any actual perpetrators.

Words precede action and if we look at the unleashing of emotional
diatribes against "others" throughout the world right now by all groups,
those in power and those out, then we are living in dangerous times.

Hate speech cannot be excused no matter from where the utterances come. I
have had many discussions with many of my friends on the right and on the
left about pure freedom of speech and its limits. I am one of the few who
believe there have to be limits on the freedom of speech for societies not
to self-destruct.

The current events to which I am alluding should be obvious to everyone.