FACULTYTALK Archives

June 2006

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Constance Bagley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 2006 11:03:11 -0400
In many jurisdictions any issuance of stock or of right to
receive stock must be approved by board. If board approved
at $.07 then I don't think that the officers entered into
binding contract when they offered $.05. Any promissory
estoppel claim would be limited to out-of-pocket reliance
damages, which may be nil. Great hypo. OK if I use it in
next edition of Mangers and Legal Envir?

Connie

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 15:21:18 -0400
  "White, Nancy Jean" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Looks like a unilateral mistake to me - no reformation.
>If the mistake were obvious then there could be relief
>but this is not an obvious mistake. If the contract were
>impossible or practicably impossible (commercial
>senselessness) then there could be relief - but again,
>these theories do not apply.
>
> On the other hand firing an employee who tries to
>enforce the contract is probably not a form of illegal
>discrimination nor is the employee protected by
>whistleblower law. So, the employee can try and enforce
>the agreement and if management wants to it can fire said
>employee.
>
> Nancy J. White
> Department of Finance and Law
> Sloan 329
> Central Michigan University
>
> CMU Webpage: http://faculty.cba.cmich.edu/webs/white2nj/
> CMU office: 989-774-1842
> CMU fax: 989-774-6456
> CMU email: [log in to unmask]
>
> Campaign website:
> http://nancywhiteforsenate.net/
>
>Fax: 989-956-5920

Constance E. Bagley
Associate Professor of Business Administration
Harvard Business School
Soldiers Field
Boston, MA 02163
617.495.6963 {v)