FACULTYTALK Archives

May 1994

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Chris Herron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 1994 16:26:03 -0400
This message is coming from Dan Herron (I know that the signature is Chris
Herron; but, I use my son's computer when I'm at home and want to talk on the
internet.  Thus, Chris is a non-ALSB member who is a subscriber to ALSBTALK
but only for my convenience.)

I appreciate your responses to my query regarding the appropriateness of a
full-time b-law teacher having some kind of practice.  The specific question
we are discussing here at my school is "whether or not the hanging out of a
shingle" is appropriate or not for a full-time b-law prof.

I have a problem with the "image"...I have detected a lot of resentment from
non-law business colleagues.  The attitude is "do you want to be academics or
do you want to be a lawyer."  Plus, I detect that salaries may be in part
compressed for b-law profs due to this perception that we're running downtown
to our law offices making lots of money.

Sandy Hurd had an op-ed piece in the fall 1992 newsletter in which she argues
that we have to choose between practice and academia.  Until we do, we will
never be accepted into academia fully.  I think that I agree with Sandy.  We
can have a small practice on the side, but without a shingle, without
litigation, and without advertising.  A practice like that could be arguably
"consulting";  if you've got a shingle, or advertising, etc., then you've got
a practice and you end up just being a lawyer who happens to teach on the
side.

Comments, please!