FACULTYTALK Archives

November 2000

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Lizbeth G. Ellis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 15:27:59 -0700
Laurie & Anne - I am on my 3rd semester using WebCT extensively to supplement a
typical lecture class.  Although I am currently teaching an introductory business
course rather than BLAW, I suspect my experiences will carry over to the BLAW user
as well.  There are many wonderful things that can be done using WebCT and huge
benefits can come from it.  Last semester, about 68% of my class of 150 students
found WebCT to be helpful or very helpful in the course.  I currently have 275
registered students in my WebCT courses -- my course homepage has had almost 11,000
hits this semester alone.  I love the ability to post readings of current events
(we use articles from Business Week) that can be discussed in class the same week
they hit the newsstand.  BUT, the communication that WebCT makes simple has a
downside, at least in my situation (and this will depend in part on the maturity
and caliber of students you are dealing with).  One is the enormous time commitment
it takes on the part of the instructor.  Our course bulletin board has had 194
postings this semester (it doesn't get used for general discussion as much as I
would like); I have received 303 emails from students in the course and I have sent
352 individual emails.  This does not count the many emails received and sent by my
grading assistant - and students are required to go to him first about grades.
MANY of my students don't figure they need to listen or take notes in class because
they can always email me personally -- almost every class period I have two or
three emails from students asking the a question (not substantive - over
directions, assignments, due dates) that was covered in class extensively and that
usely is available in the on-line schedule, on-line syllabus, on-line power point
slides, on-line list and glossary of key words etc.  It is just easier to ask me
than to look it up.  I know we all experience this to a certain extent -- but I
have found the problem MUCH GREATER with WebCT.  These negative comments should not
discourage anyone from using WebCT -- I'm probably hooked for good --  but be aware
going into it that your time spent communicating with students will need to greatly
expand (in my case, to the detriment of my research responsibilities).
Liz Ellis