FACULTYTALK Archives

May 2004

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Thomas Cavenagh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 08:35:49 -0500
Colleagues:

Our academic affairs unit is structured in departments within
divisions.  My division, which consists of a total 19 full-time faculty
in the departments of Economics, Business and Accounting, has two sets
of spouses and a new faculty member whose spouse intends to apply for an
opening in the division.  As a result, we are faced with the need to
consider implementing a more formal policy regarding supervision of and
by a spouse.   Naturally, discussions at department and division
meetings have not been useful because frank talk is almost impossible.
Do any of your institutions have such policies or have any of you had
experience in navigating this set of issues?  I chair the business
department in which two spouses teach and will run the search in which
the faculty spouse will apply, so I would very much appreciate any
guidance any of you can offer.

Gratefully,

Tom Cavenagh

Thomas D. Cavenagh, JD
Associate Professor of Law & Conflict Resolution
North Central College
30 North Brainard Street
Naperville, Illinois 60540
630-637-5157