FACULTYTALK Archives

December 2005

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
John Allison {allisonj} <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 20:15:51 -0600
I'm very, very glad we live in a democracy, and glad we have majority
rule, because it's so much better than alternative forms of government.
However, anyone who has studied the extensive experimental literature on
how most humans process information and make decisions realizes that the
majority is likely to be wrong on many occasions.  That's a trade-off
I'm willing to accept, but we certainly need some checks on decisions of
the majority.

John