FACULTYTALK Archives

March 2004

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Michael Garrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:52:28 -0600
Robert

I agree with Ginny that non-competes would be a potential area for
empirical research.

There have been several articles addressing the economic effects of state
policies on employee non-compete agreements. One of the most interesting is
Professor Gilson's piece in the New York University Law Review titled "The
Legal Infrastructure of High Technology Industrial Districts: Silicon
Valley, Route 128, and Covenants Not to Compete." (74 NYULV 575). He takes
the position that California's restrictive approach to employee
non-competes has had a positive impact on the success of the high
technology sector in the state.

Michael

At 03:04 PM 3/23/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>The enforceability and permissible breadth of covenants not to compete.
>
>Ginny

Michael Garrison
Professor of Business Law
Department of Management, Marketing, and Finance
College of Business Administration
North Dakota State University
PO Box 5137
Fargo, ND 58105-5137