FACULTYTALK Archives

January 2009

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Miller, Carol J" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2009 00:13:37 -0600
Our legislature passed a statute, which among other things compels the University to have an evaluation which is available to the students.  So a Faculty Senate subcommittee with Student Gov't representative came up with 6 questions to be used University-wide.  The results of  6 question survey are available to the students and the faculty member being evaluated (but theoretically not the administration).  In addition each dept. or college still has its own separate student evals that go into merit / tenure packets.

Although the 6 question survey was initially "on line" and voluntary, responses were low, so a process is being devised to make it compulsory or give it in class -- in addition to the dept/college controlled evaluation.  The Faculty Senate leadership or admin. believe the change is necessary to satisfy the legislative mandate.

Carol Miller
Missouri State University