FACULTYTALK Archives

September 2001

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Norman Hawker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 18:22:02 -0400
First, I think the article is absolutely correct about one thing. This
"war" has been going on for some time. We just ignored it until Sept. 11.

Second, I think there is an understandable -- please note that I'm not
saying acceptable or even reasonable -- basis for their hatred of the
U.S., and I think the article touches on a small part of it. But only a
small part of it.

Examples of bad foreign policy affecting Muslims abound. For example,
many people found it more than a little hypocritical of the U.S. to rush
to the aid of oil rich Kuwait while we did nothing about the ethnic
cleansing of Muslims in Bosnia under Father Bush. Yet I doubt that such
things could engender this type of hatred by themselves. After all, we
supported ruthless dictators in the name of the free world during cold
war. It may not have won us friends, but it didn't spark suicide bombers
either.

Rather, I think they hate us because we are winning. Our cultural values
are prevailing, and not just in Europe. Democracy, liberalism, and
materialism appear to be the wave of the future for the entire world.
Personally, I think it's a good thing that we are winning. And it's all
the more amazing when you consider that we are winning on a basis other
than military conquest of territory.

I think we will continue to win. The only way we will lose is if we give
up our values of tolerance or give in to the urge to trash our civil
liberties, etc., in response to their acts of terrorism. I'd say the

Norm