FACULTYTALK Archives

November 1999

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 05:57:19 -0500
Diversity of ideas -- I was scratching around trying to think of reasons for such a
bizarre decision and one was "group think".  I guess I was blown away by the photo
and likely mine was a cheap shot. This story though begs for a good book and some
explanations. Did you find Peter that when people were told the news of the
collapse, they just could not believe  it? My best bet remains that in fact Onex
was not liking where the bidding war was heading and the judicial decision was in
fact a way out. Though even on Friday pm the Schwartz team was looking as if
victory was assumed with the institutional investors on board for Monday's
shareholders meeting.
For the US members it might be hard to understand how big this story has been in
Canada in the last few weeks. One of the extraordinary events of last week was the
CAW (the auto union), the union for many in Air Canada and Canadian picked sides in
the battle (arguably it had to) and struck a deal with what is now the losing side.
The leader has taken a lot of heat. I am particularly interested in Peter's
comments as he is from Calgary where Canadian Airlines is headquartered. Peter, my
own connection with it is that in a fit of poor judgment my spouse bought 100 Air
Canada shares at the initial offering. Our mail box seems to have been full of
proxy calls etc every day. Last Thursday I evening I even took a call from Air
Canada's firm asking if he had voted on the latest call and if so how.

Anyway, an extraordinary story and if you know any more about the "real' reasons,
let us know.

Sally