FACULTYTALK Archives

August 2009

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Virginia G Maurer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Aug 2009 23:05:49 -0400

________________________________

From: Academy of Legal Studies in Business (ALSB) Talk on behalf of Sally Gunz
Sent: Sun 8/9/2009 2:29 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Suggesstion

I suspect poor Lucien and the rest of the Exec. must be feeling a little
under siege by now. The meeting was fine and clearly the result of a ton
of work over several years. I have no doubt this is much appreciated by
all of us and certainly me.

Cost is a concern and while we can discuss hotel charges, in truth the
most significant variable is the number of days we have to be in a
hotel. I just checked the American Accounting Association web site and
if we ignore their CLE days (2 days of seminars ahead), the entire
conference -- which is, by the way, huge -- is completed in 3 days. I
believe the other major conferences are the same. I think we should be
trying to make this our target too since not only does our way become
very costly but it also means many people are not attending the entire
conference at present. Now, I am as guilty as any other program chair
for not addressing this issue. But I think it is bite the bullet time --
and if it means we have to do things a little differently, then we
should.  One major difference would be increasing the number of papers
in each session. In both 3 paper sessions I was in or moderated, we had
lots of spare time. Minimum of 4 works just fine.

So thanks Lucien. You did a great job. To future program chairs, see if
you can do some pruning -- even if a whole bunch of us weren't able to
do it in the past!

Sally