FACULTYTALK Archives

March 2000

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Frank Cross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 12:51:29 -0800
Well, Jordan, I think you're cheating.  Assuming facts not in evidence.
I am unaware of any custom letting employees keep $12k valued prizes,
but I'm sure it would depend upon the industry.

To me, the key point is this:  Employers will often let employees keep
their prices, for HRM reasons, thinking that this is a gift on their part.
They need to be aware that a pattern of making such gifts can transform
them into a "custom" so that they become an entitlement rather than a gift.
And there is still the sticky tax problem noted by others

At 02:16 PM 3/16/2000 -0500, you wrote:

> [...]
Frank Cross
Herbert D. Kelleher Centennial Professor of Business Law
CBA 5.202
University of Texas at Austin
Austin, TX 78712