FACULTYTALK Archives

January 2005

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Michael O'Hara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 18:48:30 -0600
implicit.harvard.edu

      Do you know your mind?  Perhaps.  But, it is unlikely.  When a person
of significant magnitude changes the world (e.g., MLK), those are born
after the change wonder whether the change was significant.  Especially
since social changes are easier on the surface than at the root emotion.

      I am currently reading a book that I recommend to one and all:
"Blink:  The Power of Thinking Without Thinking".  It has broad
applicability to the law and to teaching.  (Did you know your student
evaluations were largely set within two seconds of meeting your students?)
http://events.stanford.edu/events/44/4403/

      The link
implicit.harvard.edu
was suggested by the author of "Blink" as a way to test your own
preconscious decision making.  (Java script must be enabled to use this
site.)  Prior to the next time I teach discrimination law, I plan to send
my MBA students to the computer lab to test themselves at
implicit.harvard.edu.  I strongly suspect I will encounter and entirely
different classroom.  Something about priming.

Michael

Professor Michael J. O'Hara, J.D., Ph.D.
Finance, Banking, & Law Department
College of Business Administration
Roskens Hall 502
University of Nebraska at Omaha
Omaha  NE  68182
(402) 554 - 2823 voice  fax (402) 554 - 2680
http://cba.unomaha.edu/faculty/mohara/web/ohara.htm