FACULTYTALK Archives

August 1994

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Peter Bowal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Aug 1994 15:56:50 MST
Text item: Re: Dallas Conference

  I would just like to add my congratulations for a successful conference.
   Dan, if you found it to be "calm", can you imagine how much more calm it
   must have been for the rest of us!

Employment law seems to be a strong and consistent draw, and particularly
   discrimination issues (which to me seem virtually the totality of
   employment law in the U.S.).  As a member of the section and very
   interested in the field myself, I attended many of the papers.  Overall,
   my impression was that the philosophy guiding most analyses was in
   favour of MORE LIABILITY.  In other words, a feminist or purely
   political perspective.  I would expect that there could be insightful
   critical analysis of this trend toward enlarged scope of liability or
   the entire legal phenomenon (ie. sexual harassment), but I did not hear
   nor see any.

Do any others think that the dominant ideology (at least as expressed) in
   the ALSB about social issues in business (such as employment) is
   definitively what may be thought of as "anti-business"?  Oh, I know
   about academic freedom, research for the sake of research, and all that,
   but I was just wondering how it appears, on one hand, teaching about
   management in a business school (sometimes being paid in part by private
   business endowments) and, on the other hand, advocating suing the dirty
   swine manager for everything he's got.  Just some musings, which should
   get the net back up and humming until term starts...

Peter  Bowal
University of Calgary
Alberta, Canada