FACULTYTALK Archives

February 2008

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sally Gunz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2008 11:46:08 -0500
That would be the norm here (and it can lead to interesting decisions re
in which dept. the person ends up if the particular discipline doesn't
exist at the University eg engineer going to business). But our present
Director I believe did not want to go thru' that process and neither did
the previous one although that was a special circumstances as it was a
four year appointment running up to the person's desired retirement
date. I have never thought it to be a good thing -- first, to me it is a
sign of lack of respect by the school in an academic context, and
second, it seems to be a reflection of the person's own lack of
self-confidence as an academic (in this case the person is not an active
researcher). And I think it leads to too much unnecessary deference to
traditional researchers.

In sum, I would really push for administrators to have regular
appointments and if you have chosen the right people it should be a very
simple process.

Sally