FACULTYTALK Archives

March 2005

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Zupanc, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 14:55:41 -0600
Michael
Now I'm REALLY straying from the few areas I know anything about...
I cannot begin to give you criteria for balancing market flaws with
regulatory flaws until we establish what role regulation should play in
our lives.  Even if you are not asking me that question, I will answer
it anyway.  Governmental regulation is necessary to protect life,
justice, private property and liberty.  It may even be useful to provide
beyond those needs, if it is cost effective compared to the marketplace,
like education and infrastructure/utilities. I suppose there may be some
other duties of government, but not many more.  Beyond that, each
individual is on his/her own to protect everything else.
If a "flawed product of markets is unquestionably inferior", believe me,
the market will correct that.  I sure wouldn't buy it, and neither would
you.  The fundamental obstacle to "perfect markets" is obtaining
accurate information.  With accurate information, wouldn't a lot of
these problems go away?
My problem is with the "let the government take care of it" response,
which in my opinion should be the last resort, not the first choice.

TZ