FACULTYTALK Archives

June 1994

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Fran Zollers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 1994 13:36:14 LCL
We have a major in law & public policy here at Syracuse and have for some
time.  It is a four-course major for undergraduates.  The hardest things
about it is answering the questions "What kind of job can I get with this
major" and "Is this a pre-law program."  The answer to the first is tricky,
the answer to the second is a resounding no.

We do not have an area of concentration for our MBA's--although we keep
hoping.  This is not the time to try and pass one through our faculty.
Once we had a PhD student who created a program in government relations
and did it out of our department.

Many years ago I remember being on a panel about creating majors (could it
have been as long ago as Louisville?).  It seems that Bowling Green and
Ohio University were there, as well as some others.  I'm sure your note
will draw out folks with concentrations.  I'll be happy to talk more about
this (particularly how we got the major in the first place) in Dallas.