FACULTYTALK Archives

November 1995

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Dennis M. Garvis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 1995 10:48:15 -0500
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 20:05:15 -0500
From: Jeannette Oppedisano <[log in to unmask]>
To: Multiple recipients of list IABS-L <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: affirmative action

This is one discussion I could not avoid participating in since I've been
in the field of Affirmative Action for over 15 years now...as a Director
of Human Resources and Affirmative Action Advisor to the President at
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and as both an undergraduate and graduate
management/business teacher for almost ten years.

There is a general misunderstanding of just what Affirmative Action
is...from my perspective, this has been both from ignorance and from a
concerted effort by politicians and the media..."Any press is good press"
...but the economic fear that started in the '80s brought a heightened
anger that had nothing to do with the reality of the job market...women
and people of color were losing their jobs as were white males...but it
was so much easier to blame a "program" - a group - than to face the
reality of the "bottom line" decisions that were being made. Whenever I've
questioned those who said that they lost their jobs because of AA, there
was no real data to support the allegation...just raw emotion...perhaps
their perception of their reality, Archie, but not supported by
fact...they wanted someone/something to blame.

Students believe the hype (as do some of our academic colleagues)...and
young women want to believe that they can make it without governmental
assistance...as do people of color...the historical record does not
support this assumption.

Affirmative Action is an issue that clearly belongs in this group's
discussion since it raises questions concerning the ethical foundations of
change management...and I thank Denis for sharing his classroom experience
with us.

Jeannette