FACULTYTALK Archives

November 2001

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Marsnik, Susan J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 04:39:32 -0600
 This semester, I am in London with 52 business students on our university's
annual 'London Business Semester.'  I first have to express my gratitude for
the ongoing discussions on ALSBTALK.  What a comfort it has been to have
access to ALSBTALK and these discussions while I've been in Britain.  It has
helped immensely in making me feel connected to the issues back home.  Thank
you all.

My students arrived in London September 6th and started classes on September
11th.  Many of them had never travelled abroad prior to this trip.  Most had
little or no knowledge of geopolitical history or U.S. foreign policy.  The
initial weeks following the events of September 11th were brutally difficult
for many of the students.  Indeed, from speaking with other Americans living
in London, our individual and collective feelings of isolation and longing
to be with friends and loved ones across the Atlantic were intense.  The
press accurately reported that many of us felt more intensely American than
ever before.  I know this was true for our students.  Because of this, it
was particularly difficult for them to receive the lion's share of the news
from home through the lens of a different country's media.  Of course, we
spent time in class not only discussing legal and sociolegal issues, but
also interpreting the media perspective they received.

What I have found fascinating about this group of students is how much MORE
engaged they have been this semester.  I have never had a group of students
who are more prepared for class, more willing to participate in a meaningful
way, or more willing to challenge me or the perspective in the texts we use!
Every one of them has been reading at least one newspaper every day, in part
because it is required for one of their courses.  They were assigned which
paper to read, but many are reading an additional paper if they were not
assigned a paper that had the perspective or coverage they wanted.  They are
discussing and debating world events and have put forth Herculean efforts in
their courses.  I have read some of the strongest essay exams of my career
this semester.

I knew that living in London would change these students forever.  I didn't
know how immeasurably they would mature in such a short time.  Part of the
reason I am participating in this particular discussion topic is to express
publicly how proud I am of these young men and women.  Thank you for
allowing me to do so.

Susan J. Marsnik
University of St. Thomas
London Business Semester