FACULTYTALK Archives

October 2007

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Kunkel, Richard G." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2007 14:21:57 -0500
Hello ALSBers,

I don't think anyone can assume that a posting on a public, or at least
widely available, listserve or on a blog can be guaranteed to be private or
confidential.  There are any number of ways that a post to this listserve
could be forwarded, printed, copied or sent to persons outside the list.
The sense of "privacy" or "confidentiality" of postings is more imagined
than real.

The norms of this listserve are that it be used for candid, open and
collegial communications among its members to serve the interests of the
individual members and the interests all professionals teaching law in
business schools collectively.  Referral of postings outside the community
in a way that undermine the interests of the members or the Academy at large
would violate the norms of the listserve, and chill the open environment
that works to the benefit of us all - individually or collectively.

Thus it should be an explicit expectation that listserve participants not
share information outside the listserve that negatively affects individuals
or the members collectively, and any participants who would consider such
external referrals should be aware that doing so endangers the vitality of
the discussion that makes this resource so valuable to all of us.

Rick