FACULTYTALK Archives

October 1999

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Roger Reinsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 13:10:10 -0500
I agree with all of this.  I think that what has been discussed, including
the thing that I said, are all factors, but those can all be changed.
I have been teaching from a "management" perspective for many years.  It is
very difficult to get out of the law school mode, and I fall back into it
periodically.  It takes a real effort to change the way we approach our job
in a school of business.  I agree that the books have changed and need to
change even more.  I also have published in management journals and have
co-authored with other non-law faculty.  That has changed the perception at
the school where I taught for eighteen years.
However, the change that occurs on a one-to-one basis, or even in a school,
is not as quickly carried to the overall perception among administrators,
accrediting agencies and others who make judgments.  I can get "respect"
from my colleagues, but that does not necessarily translate to respect for
other business law professors.  People aren't willing to expand their minds
like that.
I have students waiting to talk to me right now, so I will stop - probalby
have said enough anyway.