FACULTYTALK Archives

July 2001

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Dr. Bob Lamb" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 11:01:47 -0500
Here's one that you may wish to share with your appropriate colleagues. It
is a pretty good demonstration of the critical thinking process.
Bob Lamb   ...deep in the heart of Texas

Subject: Hot or Cold

> >> The following is an actual question given on a University of
Washington, Seattle Chemistry midterm:

> >> "Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?
> >> Support your answer with proof."
> >>
> >> Most of the students wrote proof of their beliefs using Boyle's Law
(gas cools off when it expands and heats up when it is compressed) or some
variant.