FACULTYTALK Archives

September 2001

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Sleeper, Bradley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 16:43:44 -0500
For those who may be interested in the original flag story that began
our listserve's spirited free speech debate, our state's CBS affiliate
last night aired a report on it.  As I remember (I would have paid more
attention if I had read today's posts!), a private company employee wore
an attractive, handmade flag lapel pin to work last week and started
giving them to other employees.  Her supervisor told her to remove it
and stop the distribution, citing office policy installed to prevent
displays supporting union organizing efforts.  The woman quit on the
spot and went home.  When contacted by the media, company spokespeople
called the supervisor's actions a misinterpretation of the policy and
said they wanted the employee back.  No word yet on whether she did and
what happened to the supervisor.

Next week I'll be using the story in my legal environment class too.

Bradley J. Sleeper
BB 301, St. Cloud State University
St. Cloud, MN  56301-4498
Phone:  (320) 255-4227