FACULTYTALK Archives

September 1998

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
SALLY GUNZ <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Sep 1998 15:10:25 -0400
To be honest, I don't think this fight is worth fighting as I'm not sure
it is winnable, at least in the sense of calling yourself Doctor. It is
certainly important to defend your qualifications to teach the subject.
By the title itself, I doubt will be accepted by your colleagues. I very
much doubt if it would be even in Canada and from my experience in the
UK and Australasia and what I know of Germany, I don't see the title
flying. I recall both my grandparents who had Doctors of either Law of
Economics from Germany making the distinction clearly that they were not
entitled to call themselves Doctor. Their qualifications were more akin
to a Master's degree. Given the importance of titles in Europe I
understand your concern. But I would focus on qualifications for the
position rather than title itself. I think pushing the latter would a)
not likely be successful and b) would raise backs where that is not the
aim.

Sally