FACULTYTALK Archives

October 2007

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Petty, Ross" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2007 13:29:47 -0400
I think an article in this area is a great idea, so I look forward to
Carol's and Linda's work when it is done.  As already noted in the
postings, there is a strong argument that student edited law journals
are peer reviewed (albeit not blind peer reviewed) because students
possess expertise in law.  Clearly the article can present these
arguments and include a list of school that accept or don't accept such
publications as counting toward AQ.  I am pleased to state Babson
College does accept student edited law reviews as peer reviewed
publications.

Given that this is an issue that never seems to go completely away, I am
surprised that more of us don't publish in business publications that
are peer reviewed.  I hope the Bast-Samuels article will discuss this
side of the issue as well.  I remember hearing several years ago of a
business school that defined peers by area of expertise and limited its
law faculty to peer review by those trained in law. For that reason, the
Journal of Public Policy and Marketing added law faculty to its
editorial board and ad hoc reviewers list years ago.
Let's hope there are no "Catch 22" schools out there, that don't accept
student edited law journals, but also don't allow law faculty to publish
in non-law journals edited by business school faculty.  That would leave
a captive group of authors for the ABLJ and JLSE and the few other
faculty peer reviewed law journals!

Ross D. Petty
Professor of Marketing Law
Babson College