FACULTYTALK Archives

March 2000

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Ross Petty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 12:39:35 -0500
My analysis is nearly the opposite of Brad's.  For price ceilings on retail
prices, the rule of reason now applies and the challenger has the burden of
proving a market power problem.  I suspect in most retail markets as well as
manufacturer markets, there is no market power problem. If there were market
power with the retailer (e.g., superstores), the manufacturer imposed
ceiling should address the problem by limiting the retailer's ability to
charge a monopoly price.  It would therefore be judged to be reasonable.
Price floors or minimum vertical price fixing is still per se illegal, so I
don't recommend it.  However, a similar result can be achieved by announcing
a "no discounters" policy and only selling to full price retailers.  Should
the manufacturer accidentally sell to a discounter and discover the error,
it should terminate the account immediately without negotiation or
discussion.  Otherwise it risks forming a per se illegal price fixing
agreement rather than a unilateral no discounter policy.
Note this advise only applies in the U.S.  In Europe, the practice would
still likely be readily condemned.
Ross Petty