FACULTYTALK Archives

October 2005

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Swaine, Edward" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Oct 2005 13:03:05 -0400
My recollection is that many who were quoted in the popular media about Roberts referred to their personal experiences in working with him (including when he was in a position, by the way, that not only tends to be assigned to persons especially learned in the law, but which relates directly to the competence required on the Court), their experiences arguing before him and the impression they formed from his opinions, and the talent he displayed as a successful advocate before the Supreme Court.  The relative transparency of his skills is one of the things I have seen cited most often.  Whether Miers has exhibited similar skills is appropriately the subject of inquiry, on which reasonable people can disagree.

So I don't understand the comment that "everyone assumes Roberts clearly is 'smart'" -- however one may regard their assessments on the merits, many were relying non-credentialing data -- or the assumption that what tipped the scale in comparisons with Miers was *necessarily* their respective law schools or, failing that, their genders.  Perhaps those factors play substantial roles in the assessments, but the similarities are not so profound as to lead ineluctably to them.  One might as well have stated that, given similar educational backgrounds and government service, the only possible basis for judgments about Bush and Kerry was height.

P.S.  It's true, of course, that schools influence perceived qualifications for many of the positions Roberts has attained -- not to mention hiring patterns, and internal promotions at, major law firms! -- and personally I am very receptive to arguments that similar attainments and successes are all the more remarkable if someone has an educational or social background (or race or gender) that was likely to have made things harder for them.  I have no idea how true that was true for Miers in the Dallas market.