FACULTYTALK Archives

October 2004

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Pat Cihon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 05:35:33 -0400
Robert -- Greetings from Florence.  As to the intersession course, this coming weekend (questo fine settimana) I will eb teaching an Intersession MBA course in Int. Bus. Law.  I use the Shaeffer et al text -- and I use a series of discussion problems -- various fact situations -- to focus the material,, SO we start withthe problem, then lay out the issues, and then bring in the relevant material to address the legal issues.  The course I am teaching is part of our Independent Study / Distance Learning MBA program -- the students have a residency (usually a week) and then do projects or assignments and communicate via Email.  For the upcoming course, they arrive in FLorence on Thurs. or Friday, we have about 6 hours of class Sat. and then 6 on Monday.  So I need to use discussion problems and whatever to keep them involved and interested during all that time.  (Usually the course runs  for 5 days @ 1 1/2 hours per day, but this one is really intensive.)  I grade based on participation and then on their paper / project -- usually about 30% participationand 70% paper / project.
      As for videos, etc., I use a lot of Internet connections -- from my website, I hav elinks to the WTO, NAFTA institutions the US Trade Rep office and so on, and use them to illustrate various material.  Check out my website (www.som.syr.edu/facstaff/pcihon ) and click on the LPP 600:  Int. Bus Law link.  The links are for the cours eI taught in the regualr seemster last spring, but the other material -- WTO links, etc. are available from that site.  For the Indpt study course, we use the BlackBoard courseware, but access to it is restricted to enrolled students.
       I am psting my syllabus for the Intensive Intersession course to the bottom of this message -- I was having trouble trying to send it as an attachment.
   Feel free to ask me any othe rquestions you may have -- I'm glad to help.  Ciao di Firenze!  Pat Cihon

* * * * *
Int. Bus. Law syllabus
* * * * **
LPP600:  The Law of International Business
Fall 2004 * Florence Residency
Saturday, Oct. 23rd, 2:00 p.m. * 6:00 p.m.
Monday, Oct. 25th, 10:00 a.m. * 4:00 p.m.

Prof. Pat Cihon
622 Crouse Hinds Hall
Cellphone in Florence: 3480839268  (to call from the U.S., dial 011-39 first)
SU Office:(315)443-3647/ SU secretary: 443-1040
EMAIL: [log in to unmask] or
WEBPAGE: http://www.som.syr.edu/facstaff/pcihon
OFFICE HOURS: I am available right before and right after class, and other times by appointment: see me right before or after class to set up an appointment, or contact me by Email or phone.
REQUIRED TEXT: International Business Law and Its Environment, 6th ed., by
Schaffer, Earle and Agusti,  published by West
COURSE DESCRIPTION:  This course will examine the laws, regulations, principles
and organizations that influence the transaction of international business.
Topics covered will include the general international legal environment, U.S.
trade law and international trade law, the regulation of the international
marketplace, and the legal instruments regulating international sales and
commercial transactions.
COURSE REQUIREMENTS: CLASS PARTICIPATION and a PAPER
        CLASS PARTICIPATION:  Participation in class discussions is expected and
required. Because of the format of the class and the compressed class meeting schedule, the format of the course will involve discussion of a number of problem situations relating to the course material.  The discussion problems will be posted on Blackboard prior to the class so that students may prepare for in-class discussion. Class participation may account for up to 30% of a student's grade for the course.
CLASS PAPER: Detailed information and description of the project will be
distributed.  The paper will account for approximately 70% of a student's grade for the course. THE FIRST DRAFT OF THE PAPER FOR THE COURSE IS DUE DECEMBER 1st;  AND THE FINAL DRAFT IS DUE JANUARY 10TH.

USE OF STUDENT WRITTEN WORK:  Copies of student written work may be used for
teaching evaluation and assessment; any student work so used will be rendered
anonymous through removal of identification of the originator of the work. Any
students objecting to such use of their work should notify the instructor.
ACADEMIC INTEGRITY POLICY CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENT:  The faculty of the School
of Management has adopted an Academic Integrity Policy emphasizing that honesty,
integrity, and respect for others are fundamental expectations in our School.
The Policy requires all students who take SOM courses to certify in writing that
they have read, understand, and agree to comply with the Academic Integrity
Policy. SoM undergraduate students should have completed a certification
statement. All non-SOM undergraduate students enrolled in this course are also
required to complete a certification statement available in the Graduate Office
(Suite 222). Completed statements will be kept on file in the Graduate Office.
CLASS ATTENDANCE POLICY:  Students are expected to attend class, because class participation accounts for approximately 1/3 of a student's grade for the course.  It is recognized that situations may arise that require a student to miss class;  if that is the case, please inform me as soon as possible * preferably prior to class, if possible.

LEARNING OBJECTIVES:
1.  To develop critical thinking and reasoning skills to analyze the business
implications of legal decisions and the legal implications of business
decisions, and the ethical implications of both.
2.  To demonstrate understanding of  principles and critical thinking and
reasoning abilities through oral and written communications.
3.  To understand key legal principles affecting international business,
including contracts, sales, trade law, and international dispute resolution procedures.
4.  To appreciate the relationship of U.S. state and federal law and regulation,
the laws of other nations, and regional and international law and regulation affecting international business.
5.  To develop an awareness of the various international and regional entities
and organizations that affect international business and trade.

COURSE OUTLINE:
I. INTRODUCTION TO THE LEGAL ENVIRONMENT OF INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS
 A.  Introduction to International Business (Chap. 1)
 B.  International Law and Organizations (Chap. 2)
 C.  The Resolution of International Disputes (Chap. 3)
II.  INTERNATIONAL SALES, CONTRACTS AND COMMERCIAL TRANSACTIONS
 A.  Sales Contracts and Excuses for Nonperformance (Chap. 4)
 B.  The Documentary Sale and Terms of Trade (Chap. 5)
 C.  Bank Collections, Trade Finance and Letters of Credit  (Chap.7)
III. INTERNATIONAL AND U.S. TRADE LAW
 A.  National Lawmaking Powers and the Regulation of U.S. Trade  (Chap.8;  and
the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act material, pps.512-520)
 B.  GATT Law and the WTO:  Basic Principles  (Chap. 9)
 C.  Regulating Import Competition and Unfair Trade (Chap. 10)
 D.  North American Free Trade Law (Chap. 13)
 E.  The E.U. and Other Regional Trade Areas (Chap. 14)
 F.  Laws Governing Access to Foreign Markets  (Chap. 11)

THE FIRST DRAFT OF THE PAPER FOR THE COURSE IS DUE DECEMBER 1st;  AND THE FINAL DRAFT IS DUE JANUARY 10TH.