FACULTYTALK Archives

October 2012

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Kurt Schulzke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Oct 2012 23:23:58 -0400
I think it is fair to say that the relationship between real-world importance and quantifiability is an inverse one. This view freaks out my accounting students and is antithetical to the "impact factor" culture in which AACSB -- indeed our society as a whole -- wallows into intellectual mediocrity.

With this bit of metaphysics out of the way, you might want to check out some of Ronald Bailey's recent columns at reason.com on the epidemic of bogus, high-impact-factor research being churned out by so-called "hard-science" types. Here's a teaser, from April 2012, regarding bad science in oncology:

* * *

Last week, the scientific journal Nature published a disturbing commentary claiming that in the area of preclinical research—which involves experiments done on rodents or cells in petri dishes with the goal of identifying possible targets for new treatments in people—independent researchers doing the same experiment cannot get the same result as reported in the scientific literature.

The commentary was written by former vice president for oncology research at the pharmaceutical company Amgen Glenn Begley and M.D. Anderson Cancer Center researcher Lee Ellis. They explain that researchers at Amgen tried to confirm academic research findings from published scientific studies in search of new targets for cancer therapeutics. Over 10 years, Amgen researchers could reproduce the results from only six out of 53 landmark papers. Begley and Ellis call this a “shocking result." It is.

The two note that they are not alone in finding academic biomedical research to be sketchy. Three researchers at Bayer Healthcare published an article [PDF] in the September 2011 Nature Reviews: Drug Discovery in which they assert “validation projects that were started in our company based on exciting published data have often resulted in disillusionment when key data could not be reproduced.” How bad was the Bayer researchers’ disillusionment with academic lab results? They report that of 67 projects analyzed “only in 20 to 25 percent were the relevant published data completely in line with our in-house findings.”

Perhaps results from high-end journals have a better record? Not so, say the Bayer scientists. “Surprisingly, even publications in prestigious journals or from several independent groups did not ensure reproducibility. Indeed, our analysis revealed that the reproducibility of published data did not significantly correlate with journal impact factors, the number of publications on the respective target or the number of independent groups that authored the publications.”

* * *

If impact factors are so unreliable in hard sciences, what should we expect from "soft" social science disciplines like law, economics, accounting and finance?

Here's another valuable Baily column, from August 2012, on point:

http://reason.com/blog/2012/08/17/shoring-up-the-mantra-of-science-take-no

Impact factors are an easy way for P&T committees and department chairs to avoid the hard work of making professional judgment calls. Reliance on impact factors as the sole measure of research productivity and quality is, among other things, unprofessional and lazy. How to communicate this message and turn it into reform is a tough question. But we need to start somewhere.

Kurt S. Schulzke, JD, CPA, CFE
Associate Professor of Accounting & Business Law
Director - Law, Ethics & Regulation
Corporate Governance Center
Kennesaw State University
+ 1770-423-6379 (O)