FACULTYTALK Archives

November 2000

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Lizbeth G. Ellis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 16:12:00 -0700
I heard this morning that 4 years ago the military absentee vote in
Florida went about 56% for Dole at a time when the state as a whole gave
Dole only 40 something % of its vote.  I think the military vote will
kill Gore's chances of taking Florida unless the recount of the
automated at home vote results in a Gore lead.

I was in the emergency room last night with a sick 4 year old (who is
doing fine now) and in his delirium he was yelling "go Gore, go Gore" --
we had to conclude that his abdominal pain was brought on by watching
the election results too long and the inexcusable job done by the media
in "calling" the states too early.  You can never indoctrinate them too
early -- but maybe this was too much.

I also heard w/ respect to election "fraud" that at some polling places
in Broward county the sample ballots listed Al Gore second behind Bush
but then the actual voting machines had Pat Buchanan stuck in between
Bush and Gore and that a good number of little old Jewish ladies are now
claiming they may have inadvertently voted for Buchanan instead of
Gore.  In our part of the country there were people calling vulnerable
voters (limited English, old, uneducated) saying the Republicans voted
on Tuesday and the Democrats on Wednesday -- don't know if anyone bought
it but it caused a ruckus.  Maybe the Republicans have been waiting all
these years and thinking about the Nixon-Kennedy election.  Payback is
hell.

All day I have read this discussion and tried to stay out of it . .. I
knew if I got started I wouldn't be able to stop.  So much for good
intentions.  How did our ALSB member running for Congress do?  What
district?   Let it be done soon.