FACULTYTALK Archives

May 2005

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sally Gunz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 May 2005 19:15:41 -0400
Literally I guess.

Now here is the problem that truly stinks. One of the buildings where a
bunch of finals are always scheduled is also prone to fire alarms.
Fortunately I have only had the alarm go off /before /the exam started
-- we couldn't get into the building. But I dread the time when it goes
off part way thru'. There are all kinds of complicated rules that kick
in none of which I can remember. But basically I can't think of any fair
way of handling things other than having a completely new and
rescheduled exam. Ugh. The ultimate problem with this building is its
also where the switchboard is so you can't call anyone unless you know
the number already to find another room. Last year Darren Charters and I
trotted around campus with a couple of hundred students in tow till we
found another room. Of course, despite my going round and round the math
building looking for lost ducklings, a handful were truly never found.

Ok -- you know the conclusion. Those lucky (?) ducks got a deferred.

Sally