FACULTYTALK Archives

February 2000

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 17:45:16 -0600
Dear Colleagues:

        The idea of merging conferences certainly makes sense.  However, I wonder
if we should think about WHY our colleagues are not attending regionals as
in the past.  I believe it is because of the AACSB policy of no longer
counting participation in conferences as intellectual activity - instead,
they are back to "refereed journals" as the sole criteria for determining
whether a faculty is academically - intellectually qualified.  So, ...

                May I invite consideration of the following?

        With AACSB announcing that the ONLY criteria for the measurement of
academically/intellectual activity is publication in refereed publications,
should we consider expanding the publication opportunities for papers
presented at these conferences.  I am NOT suggesting a reduction of QUALITY,
but instead, a new definition and criteria for publication that would permit
many more presentations to qualify for publication.  By the way, it is my
understanding that publication may be electronic... thus saving some costs.
1.  What if regional meetings set up a panel to accept electronic
submissions of all presentations. The electronic submissions could even
occur AFTER the presentations so that constructive suggestions could be
added to the articles.  Recommend we set a maximum page limit of 5 pages and
NO MORE THAN 15 footnotes.  (By they way, have you seen what others publish
in their Proceedings?).
2.  The panel would have the charge to accept as many articles as possible
that conform to the basic requirements.
3.  Really law-review or high brow papers should continue to be sent to
ALSB's Journal.
        The above, I believe, would give a new incentive for participation in
conferences.  We would use presentations to help colleagues develop quality
articles that are SHORT and useful dicussions for the new ... Journal of
Business Legal Issues (name?).
                                                Thank you for your consideration.
                                                Chuck Stowe
                                                Professor, Sam Houston State University