FACULTYTALK Archives

February 1995

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Robert A. Lamb" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 1995 15:24:12 -0500
 Let's not play that game, "Which Publication is Most Prestigious?"
I find it offensive, demeaning, elitist and unethical. Other then that I
have no objections.  :)
 How dare we demean our colleague's research? Who appointed us to sit in
judgment that the quality of the research is determined, in whatever
measure, by the journal of publication?
 It would seem to me that if a colleague felt a topic merited researching,
it would be pompous at best for me to sit and say "I don't think that's
very important." Research, at least in our profession, should be based on
the belief that changes are necessary in the best interest of justice.
Since justice is a philosophical concept there is room for divergent views
on what justice might be in any given situation. As we all know, at law
there are both majority and minority jurisdictions, both of which comprise
a correct interpretation of the law.
 A journal, whosever it be, is merely a vessel for carrying content. Said
another way, when do you start judging a book by its cover?
 The criteria of using the number of times a particular journal is
referenced in case law is flawed at best. It is a reflection of what
is currently in vogue in terms of pending cases which greatly enhances the
likelihood of being referred to in case law. The journals that are most
often quoted may well exercise publication policy which mandates prefernce
to current controversial issues, it is not necessarily a reflection of
scholarly content!
 I believe by playing "the game" we demean the significance of scholarly
legal research.
 Thanks for permitting me to vent. I feel much better now!

  Bob Lamb  deep in the heart of Texas.