FACULTYTALK Archives

May 2009

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Bill Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 May 2009 08:25:29 -0500
What are the chances, do you think, of the Spanish court indicting
Bush/Cheney for war crimes?  And where do they get this authority?
 From the Hague?  Is there some overriding criminal law regime that
Spain is linked to, or is it open to any nation -- Iran, Israel -- to take
same route?  Would they use their own law (tailor-made law, for ex-
ample), or would Spain, maybe, use the U.S. Code of Military Justice
and precedents from U.S. war crime prosecutions following WWII?

Senator Leahy -- Truth and Reconciliation Commissions:  what would
that be like?  South Africa used them, and maybe some others too.

What with U.S. domestic politics, I'm guessing these matters will be
swept under the rug, but it's possible for that to have long-term negative
consequences.  Also possible to be too righteous, maybe politically
motivate/tainted, and having all heck breaking loose domestically.

I'm pretty much of a mind that, given one's predilections, that just
about any articulate person (i.e. ALSB member) could pick this up
by a moral, religious, pragmatic handle and validate one's initial premise.