FACULTYTALK Archives

May 1996

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robert Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 May 1996 15:18:44 EST
Ron is correct that there was no internet in the early days of
computers, i.e., the 1940s and earlier.

However, I think that what my colleague was referring to was the
early days of microcomputers which dates back to the 1970s, and
practically speaking, the 1980s.  In this period, the internet
clearly existed.  Its roots date back to 1969 with Defense Department
research. If you want to be a stickler for detail, you can trace the
first internet connection back to 1977.

So by any reasonable interpretation of her statement, there
was an internet.

 > On Thu, 2 May 1996, Virginia Maurer (MAN) wrote:
> [snip]
> > In the past, in the early age of computers, my early-adolescent sons
> > (both deny and blame the other) used to download absolute garbage
> > off the internet and store it in my hard drive.
> [snip]
>
> In the early age of computers, there was no internet.
>
> Ron Mosley

| Robert Thomas                           352 392-0136 (Direct)      |
| University of Florida                   352 392-0163 (Dept. Office)|
| College of Business                     352 392-6020 (Fax)         |
| 201 Business Building                   [log in to unmask]       |
| Gainesville, FL 32611                                              |