FACULTYTALK Archives

April 1995

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Reitzel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 1995 22:29:42 -0700
Dan Herron said:

I have had an inquiry from an ALSB member regarding how many b-law
> courses schools are requiring for accounting majors.  Her school now
> requires two [legal environ course and a UCC/CPA review course, I
> would presume][and {Reitzel's language} wants to reduce the number to one] and
 she'd like to have some data to counter this move.
So how many b-law courses does your school require of its accounting
> majors?

California State University, Fresno requires two business law courses.

The first, BA18, is a 4-unit course required of all business majors.
Entitled "Business and the Legal Environment," it covers background
topics (nature of law and the legal system; business and the
constitution; civil procedure; overview of criminal law, tort law),
the law of contracts, the law of agency, and overviews of labor and
employment law and international business transactions.  BA18 is a
broad course with an in-depth, integrative focus on contract and
agency law.

Accounting majors may then choose BA150 or BA151, both 3-unit courses.

BA150 covers property law (including bailments) as an introduction to
UCC topics.  The UCC topics are sales (including law of carriers &
documents of title), secured transactions (including suretyship), and
commercial paper.

BA151 covers partnership, corporations, and other business
organizations; securities regulation and bankruptcy; and insurance law
if time permits.
Underlying policy is emphasized in all the courses.

What SHOULD be required of accountants?  All three courses, in my
opinion, as was the case at the university at which I previously
taught.  The CPA exam covers the topics of all three courses, and the
instruction in those topics should NOT be of a CPA review sort.  CPAs
(and their clients) deserve an in-depth treatment of all topics that the
practice of accountancy involves.