FACULTYTALK Archives

September 1999

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Bruce D. Fisher" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 12:53:54 -0400
There is law faculty involvement in law reviews; it can take several forms
up to and including substantive review of a submission (although this
certainly does not occur in all or even most cases).  Also, you might point
out to persons "hung up" on an overly parochial view of "peer reviewed" that
being published in a recognized law review is THE standard for P&T in
virtually every accredited law school.  Further the quantity of articles
required to be published is not overwhelming in many law schools.  In many
cases the chance of having one's work published is about one in one
hundred--not a high probability situation even with (and I wouldn't mention
this) multiple submissions.
     Obviously we must be perceived as helping our peers to understand our
research situation so as not to be seen as overly defensive about the nature
of our research.  However, there is a need for our "peers" in other
disciplines to acknowledge that there are many paradigms for many
disciplines.  In so doing they can practice what they are preaching
endlessly about:  DIVERSITY!  Certainly diversity of research paradigm fits
in nicely in today's ecumenical environment.
     You might also have your colleagues get in touch with b. law faculty
"outside the box" so that they can see that you are not just making a lot of
apparently self-serving observations about legal research.
                    Bruce Fisher