FACULTYTALK Archives

May 2010

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sally Gunz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2010 10:58:58 -0400
I have a question about Robert's rules of order.

After the vote for and against is taken, if a member asks about
abstentions, should the chair ask how many people abstain ( note, the
chair was counting the number of votes for and against)? In this case
the chair said Robert's rules of order to not allow abstentions to be
counted.

I realize that an abstention does not count in terms of whether a motion
wins or loses. The question is whether the number of abstentions should
be recorded if the request is made?

if anyone is an expert on these questions, would you mind getting back
to me please? If you could also reference the place in Robert's rules
where any relevant point is located I would be grateful.

Thanks.

Sally