FACULTYTALK Archives

January 2009

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Petty, Ross" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 2009 12:05:45 -0500
I agree with Ginny that Howard seems to like the system and admits we
need fundamental boundaries.  He just thinks we have gone beyond
fundamentals currently to unduly shrink free space. While I agree with
his example about running during recess in Broward county schools, he
needs to recognize that our system also is inherently experimental.  We
try new regulation in response to events.  At any given time, we will
have some pretty silly regulations that will probably be ignored or
repealed in the near future.
This is an interesting argument to make at this point in history and to
tie it into the Obama campaign.  Worldcom, Enron, etc are still in
recent memory and proved we didn't have enough fundamental regulation in
accounting fraud and of course odds are the Obama administration will
take further action to regulate mortgage derivatives and similar
instruments acknowledged to be a major contributors to our current
recession.  A major theme of the Bush administration was that business
needs ample free space to able to make money and growth the economy, but
I think most Americans feel business has had too much free space of
late.

Ross D. Petty
Professor of Marketing Law
Zwerling Family Term Chair