FACULTYTALK Archives

December 1997

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sally Gunz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 08:39:53 -0500
For everyone -- the meeting is from the 18-22. Re the Sat discussion -
when I did the survey on which days it was best to start the conference,
it turned out to be pretty inconclusive. In fact, we had no choice on
dates anyway this year because of other meetings in San Diego. However, it
was very clear that people want to us to take into account the fact that
for many of us, for many if not most locations, it is necessary to stop
over the Sat night. We are also aware that cost is a major factor for many
of our members and that the hotel cost is one of the biggest burdens. With
all this in mind we are "compacting" the conf to ensure that there will
likely not be a need (other than for House of Delegates and Exec) to come
in on the Tues night. There is also recognition that the workshops,
because they are so popular, are no longer add ons but part of the meeting
proper. As such, there will be the two long established workshops --
teaching and research -- on Wed from 2-5. That will allow people from the
east to fly in that day if they want.

I should clarify one thing about the "early" end -- as things presently
stand (and I haven't heard any wild objections so far), we will be having
workshops on Fri afternoon. We have moved the annual meeting into the
morning and the off-site workshops (two computer and one internat) will be
held at USD. There will also be one paper session at the hotel, ending at
3. We will run three paper sessions on Sat, so the conference ends about 1
on Sat. It is Thurs that is the main "early ender", and that will allow
for the women's event for those who wish to attend.

This has ended a little longer than I had planned. But I did want to
clarify these points in case anyone thought we were starting at 5 and
ending at 11. The actual breakfast start time is only half an hour earlier
than normal, but, we would start the papers earlier.

Sally