FACULTYTALK Archives

October 2005

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Halgas, Jordan T. L." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Oct 2005 00:48:28 -0700
I permit open book, open notes, etc.  The students can use any resource that they want.  The way that the tests are structured--one IRAC and M/C questions following a series of fact patterns--the materials do not help if they have not studied.  I encourage the students to make an outline and then have their notes and text there to help them with more detail.  I really try to stress that they have to synthesize and process the material on their own--that the exam measures their critical thinking skills, not their ability to memorize.  The average final grade in my class varies from a C+ to B-, but that is with a fair amount of extra credit.

Jordan T.L. Halgas, J.D.
Assistant Professor
California State University, Sacramento
College of Business Administration