FACULTYTALK Archives

November 2013

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"White, Nancy Jean" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Nov 2013 16:31:47 +0000
Personally I do not think of Christmas trees and stockings as Christian and have no objection to them as they are a celebration of, in my opinion, a secular holiday that to some is tied to a religious holiday. Celebration of Christmas was banned for many centuries because of its pagan connections. However, eventually the Christians gave up on it and just adopted it.

If I were in India I would probably celebrate Diwali even if I am not Hindu. I would find it interesting to experience their holidays and traditions. I believe students from other countries might feel the same when visiting the US. One of the "fun" things about visiting another country is experiencing their culture, including holidays, even including religious holidays though as I said I don't think of Christmas trees and stockings as having anything to do with Christianity.

I do usually put a sign on my door every year that says, "The real reason for the season: The birth of the SUN" with a nice picture of a SUN on there :)

Nancy J. White
Department of Finance and Law
Sloan 329
Central Michigan University