FACULTYTALK Archives

October 2004

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Laura Hartman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 13:25:52 -0500
Dawn Bennett-Alexander and i both teach e-law but I don't have my
syllabus handy.  She said to provide a link to her syllabus at
http://www.terry.uga.edu/people/dawndba/
click on the Employment Law class link.

We both use (not surprisingly, as well) our text, Bennett-Alexander &
Hartman, Employment Law for Business, published by McGraw-Hill.

Laura

Laura P. Hartman
Assoc. Vice President, Academic Affairs
Professor of Business Ethics
DePaul University, 1 E. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604
312/362-6569, fax: 312/362-6822
>>> [log in to unmask] 10/20/04 10:58 AM >>>
Thomas -- I have taught an Employment Law course for  a number of years.
 I will attach the syllabus.  I use (not surprisingly)  CIhon &
Castagnera, Employment and Labor Law, published by West.  The 5th
edition came out this past summer -- the attached syllabus is from last
fall, so it lists the 4th edition.  I hope this helps.
Pat Cihon
             * * * * * * * * * *  * * * * * * * * *  ** **  * *

LPP 400 EMPLOYMENT LAW
Fall 2003
Prof. Pat Cihon
622 Crouse Hinds Hall
443-3647 office/ 443-1040 (secretary)/ 685-6080 (home)
Email: [log in to unmask]
WEBPAGE: http://www.som.syr.edu/facstaff/pcihon/EMBA.html
OFFICE HOURS:  by appointment -- see me after class, or leave an Email
message
REQUIRED TEXTS:
1) Employment & Labor Law, Cihon & Castagnera, 4th edition [Referred to
as C&C] -- Available at the Orange Student Bookstore in M Square Mall
2) Supplementary Materials -- To be distributed in class or through the
Internet site
COURSE REQUIREMENTS: CLASS PARTICIPATION,  WRITTEN PAPER, AND POSSIBLE
IN-CLASS WRITTEN ASSIGNMENTS. PARTICIPATION IN CLASS DISCUSSIONS IS
EXPECTED. STUDENTS ARE EXPECTED TO HAVE READ THE ASSIGNED MATERIAL
THOROUGHLY BEFORE CLASS IN ORDER TO FACILITATE CLASS DISCUSSION;
STUDENTS ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO BRIEF THE CASES CONTAINED IN THE
ASSIGNED MATERIAL PRIOR TO EACH CLASS. CLASS PARTICIPATION ACCOUNTS FOR
25% OF A STUDENT'S GRADE FOR THE COURSE.
Weight Assigned for Grade Determination: The paper is worth 75% and
class participation is worth 25%.
ACADEMIC INTEGRITY POLICY CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENT
The faculty of the School of Management has adopted an Academic
Integrity Policy emphasizing that honesty, integrity, and respect for
others are fundamental expectations in our School. The Policy requires
all students who take SOM courses to certify in writing that they have
read, understand, and agree to comply with the Academic Integrity
Policy. SoM students should have completed a certification statement.
All non-SOM  students enrolled in this course, including SOM minors, are
also required to complete a certification statement available in the MBA
Office (Suite 222). Completed statements will be kept on file.

CLASS ATTENDANCE POLICY: University regulations provide that
requirements and policies concerning nonattendance are established by
instructors of each course. Class attendance is expected; students who
miss in-class assignments because of nonattendance will not be permitted
to make up such assignments. Absences due to medical conditions or
because of required participation in university-sanctioned activities
will be excused, upon presentation of appropriate documentation
substantiating the reason for the absence.
LEARNING OBJECTIVES:
1. To understand the legal nature of the employment relationship.
2. To appreciate the rationale for the development of the equal
employment opportunity [EEO] legislation and its effect upon the nature
of the employment relationship.
3. To comprehend the requirements of the various federal and state EEO
laws and their inter-relationship.
4. To appreciate the impact and effect of the EEO legislation upon
management decisions, behavior and procedures.
5. To develop skills for critical thinking and communication skills
through class discussion, oral presentations and written work.

COURSE OUTLINE AND READINGS:

I. Introduction:
A. The Employment Relationship
Readings:
1. C&C -- Chap 1
2.  Supplemental Cases -- NY At Will Cases,  Lobosco
B.  Common Law Employment Issues :  Torts, Restrictive Covenants, Trade
Secrets
Readings:
1.  C&C -- Chap 2
2.  Supplemental Cases -- restrictive covenants, trade secrets cases

II.  The Development of EEO Legislation
A.. The Legislative Framework
Readings:
1. C&C -- Appendices D - I [Federal EEO Legislation]
2. Supp. -- New York State Human Rights Law
B. Title VII -- Overview
1. Discrimination under Title VII -- Disparate Treatment and Disparate
Impact, the "Bottom Line", Validity Studies
        Seniority Systems and Discrimination, Affirmative Action and
Title VII
Readings:
1. C&C: -- Chap. 3
2.  Supplemental Cases -- Griggs v. Duke Power, Washington v. Davis,
Albemarle Paper v. Moody,  and the Uniform Guidelines on Employee
Selection, Validity Studies

III. Gender Discrimination and Title VII
A. Intro -- BFOQ, Sex Stereotyping, Sex-Plus Discrimination
Readings:
1. C&C: Chap. 4
B. Sex Discrimination and Pay Differentials
1. C&C: 89-101
C. Pregnancy and Family Obligations: Title VII and the Family and
Medical Leave Act
1. C&C: 101-106
D. Sexual Harassment
1. C&C: 107-118
2.  Supplemental Materials:  Blakey v. Continental Airlines, Phillips v.
Smalley Maintenance Services
E. Sexual Preference and Other Sex-Discrimination Issues
1. C&C: 118-121

IV. Religious & National Origin Discrimination
A. Religious Discrimination
1. C&C: Ch 5:  126 - 133
B. National Origin
1. C&C: 133 - 139
2. Supp: EEOC Guidelines on National Origin
V. Title VII Enforcement Procedure and Remedies
A. Enforcement and Procedure
1. C&C: 139 - 154
B. Remedies
1. C&C: 154 - 162
VI. Age & Disability Discrimination
A. Age Discrimination in Employment Act
1. C&C:  Chap. 6:   167 - 183
B. Disability Discrimination
1. Americans with Disabilities Act and Rehabilitation Act
Readings: 1.  C&C: 183 - 199
                 2. Supp:Toyota v. Williams
C.  Drug Abuse
Readings:. C&C: 199 - 206
2. Supp: Drugfree Workplace Act
VII. Other EEO Legislation and Protective Employment Legislation
A. 42 U.S. S.1981, S.1983
1. C&C Chap. 7 : 211 - 213
B. E.O. 11246
1. C&C: 214-215
C. Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Act
1. C&C: 216
2.  Supplemental Materials
D. National Labor Relations Act
1. C&C: 217
E. U.S. Constitution
1. C&C: 218 - 222
F. State EEO Laws
1. C&C: 222 - 228
G. Employee Polygraph Protection Act
1. Supp: Employee Polygraph Protection Act
H. Off the Job Conduct and Employee Privacy
1. Supp: NYS Labor Law s. 201-d,  Cases

VIII.  Labor Relations Law
 A.  Introduction to the NLRA
1.  C&C:  Chap. 13
B.  Union Representation Elections
1.  C&C:  Chap. 14
C. Unfair Labor Practices
1.  C&C:  Chap. 15

>>> [log in to unmask] 10/20/04 11:33 AM >>>
Hi everyone,

Has anyone ever taught a law of the workplace or employment law course?
Could you please forward a syllabus to me if you have one or any ideas
for an undergraduate level course in work-related legal issues.

Thanks,

Thomas D. Giordano

St. John's University

College of Professional Studies