FACULTYTALK Archives

October 2005

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Dan Levin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Oct 2005 23:34:27 -0500
ALSBers,

I am interested in how many credits MBA programs around the nation
devote to ethics, and how often ethics (in a *substantial, explicit*
way) is combined with law, or another topic, in the same course.  Do
any of you have MBA programs where ethics is a separate course in the
program?  If ethics is a separate course, how many credits is
assigned to it, and who teaches it?  is it the business law faculty,
or bus. law faculty plus non-bus.law faculty, or only non-bus. law
faculty, or ...?  Do the philosophy department's faculty have any
role to play in teaching ethics in your MBA program?

In our new MBA program, each of our courses is 2 credits, and meets
at night.  The classes meet for 8 weeks, for 3.25 hours (minus a
5-minute break) per week (about 25.3 hours total).  Law and ethics
are combined into one required course (called Legal and Ethical
Environment of Business.).  There has arisen a disagreement among the
MBA faculty as to how much time should be devoted to law and how much
to ethics in this course.   We are not currently assessing legal
skills, abilities or knowledge in our current MBA program assessment
scheme.  Some MBA faculty have said AACSB does not require that law
be assessed in an MBA program.

I am concerned that law is getting a smaller role than it should have
in our MBA program and that that role may shrink even further.

In addition to the questions above, I am wondering what role exactly
does AACSB think business law education should play in an MBA
program?  is it true that AACSB is more concerned about teaching MBA
students ethics than teaching them legal principles, skills of legal
analysis, etc.?

One of my colleagues, an extremely bright and reasonable person who
has published articles with legal aspects, said (if I understood
correctly) that if managers act ethically, they will automatically be
acting legally.  Therefore, teaching business students law was less
important than teaching them ethics (or at least I *think* this
professor was suggesting that conclusion).  What do you all think
about those propositions?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Dan Levin
--