FACULTYTALK Archives

February 2006

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Laura Hartman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 00:00:00 GMT
One of the challenging issues for me is the conflicts that arise between coming to class and job interviews. At several of the schools where I have taught, profs are advised to be somewhat flexible with seniors who "have no choice" but to miss class for job interviews. Yes, it is (unfortunately?) much of the reason they're there in the first place but it has been troubling to me. My response is usually (1) everyone has choices, and (2) they can absolutely miss class but it will affect participation score.

But I'm left not feeling completely comfortable with that result, either . . .

Laura P. Hartman
Assoc. Vice President, Academic Affairs
Professor of Business Ethics
DePaul University, 1 E. Jackson Blvd.