FACULTYTALK Archives

February 2001

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 08:33:21 -0500
Ken S was correct. The email that came around re the tennis player Anna
?? was apparently a virus. If I understood the CBC news correctly, it
doesn't sound like it harms the hard drive but it is a real nuisance.

I realise the following is not any guarantee of successful prevention,
but is there any point in establishing some sort of etiquette on
alsbtalk re sending emails with attachments -- would it work to make
sure you start off with a clear explanation that this is you sending the
email. Maybe have a message and then the follow up second email with the
attachment. Something to verify this is not a computer virus generated
message? Anyone have any suggestions? The trouble is, right now the only
safeguard is not to open anything. Other groups must have systems. What
works at least somewhat?

Sally